Monday, July 20, 2009

About sleep

There's one thing about sleep that bothers me. Unlike eating and dancing, sleeping cannot be done voluntarily. You can feel the urges to eat, dance, or sleep, but eating and dancing are very voluntary, and you get immediate feedback from your body as soon as you do them. But sleeping, you have to lay down, close your eyes, and wait. You can't command your body to sleep. It just wears you down until it makes you sleep.

I don't like when I don't have control over my body, or over its little urges. I ought to be able to have some pressure point in my body or in my mind so that if I focus hard enough, I will immediately drift into slumber. I don't mind not getting control over my dreams, since I don't mind any kind of escape from reality, and I like being surprised. What I don't want is a lack of decision-making on my part on how and when I sleep.

It's also frustrating when I know I'll have to spend my waiting period thinking about useless stuff, because I know I'll forget all of it by the morning. I have to refrain myself from making brilliant jokes or amusing stories, because it will go to waste.

In its current, I feel sleep has no place in our postmodern, postindustrial world, and should be reworked to better fit our current standards. Sleeping should be totally compliant with the party's needs, values, and awareness, and should not in any way hinder with the party's mental capabilities. Instead, sleeping should keep a flexible schedule, able to work itself along sudden appointments and inconveniences and returned to at the party's convenience. Also, sleeping should provide helpful instructions to the party, describing various sleep disorders, how to avoid them, and how to treat them. Customer support should be available at all times for such things as dream interpretations, dream element selections, and nightmare retardation.

With that in mind, I shall be off to bed. Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment