Thursday, September 3, 2009

What's up, YTMND?

Well, yesterday, I mentioned that I posted something to YTMND.com. Its ranking was around 4.7, and I expected it to drop even lower.

Well, no. It's stayed there. It once got down to 4.6, but now it's recovered. I was not prepared for that. By the end of the day, it's had 4000 views, 237 votes, and 75 favs. It went off the "Up and Coming" list still in second place, and still resides on second place in the Top Rated This Week (first place is a site revealing the "illicit" practices of the website's founder, and is currently the highest-rated site in the history of YTMND; unlucky timing on my part).

Well, a Google search reveals that, no, my blog is NOT one of the search results of "Frodo jump on it" (but it will now! heh heh heh). But so far, the results show that it's popped up on a Twitter account, the signature of a forum user, and Buzzfeed.com.

Now, it's also been something of a goal of mine to make something that reaches a sizeable popularity on the Internet. For the record, yes, it was partly my intention for other people to make spinoffs ("fads" in YTMND lingo) of it. It wasn't that hard for me to make, and it's pretty catchy. Right now, though, I'm a tad concerned. If my site is THIS good, then no one will want to make a spin-off and look like some attention-crazed wannabe. I mean, the both of the original Brian Peppers sites were just a picture with music (and text) on it, both garnering a rating of 4 out of 5, offering (practically inviting) others to beat that score.

But if my site stays at 4.7, then no one will attempt to best it, and it will just die. No fad. No fun.

Well, I'll throw in another update on it tomorrow. I've been spending the past day or two on YTMND, anyway, so I may as well let you in on what I've been doing. Even though I'm not doing anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment