Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Quibbling over the chronologically something

When I was at work and doing my usual half-work-half-thinking routine, I came up with a good term for children: "chronologically disadvantaged". Because kids do not have quite as much experience as full-grown adults, they are clearly the most disadvantaged persons in the human aging spectrum.

So imagine how surprised and irked I was to type that phrase into Google and discover people don't use it for children; they use it for the exact opposite, the elderly. Apparently, people think that getting older is a bad thing, one that must be avoided at all costs. (Good luck on that.)

Furthermore, the phrase "chronologically advantaged" is also applied towards the elderly, albeit in a more positive manner. Frantically, I tried searching for "chronologically advantageable", but that returned no entries. Shall I be the first to use it as a synonym for youthful, or is someone going to take that one away from me as well?

No comments:

Post a Comment